Friday 11 November 2016

Review: Harry Potter and the Cursed Child (Harry Potter #8) by J.K. Rowling

Title: Harry Potter and the Cursed Child
Author: J.K. Rowling
My rating: 4.5 hearts
Genre: Young Adult, Fantasy
Pub. date: July 31st 2016
Publisher: Little, Brown UK
SynopsisBased on an original new story by J.K. Rowling, Jack Thorne and John Tiffany, a new play by Jack Thorne, Harry Potter and the Cursed Child is the eighth story in the Harry Potter series and the first official Harry Potter story to be presented on stage. The play will receive its world premiere in London’s West End on July 30, 2016.

It was always difficult being Harry Potter and it isn’t much easier now that he is an overworked employee of the Ministry of Magic, a husband and father of three school-age children.

While Harry grapples with a past that refuses to stay where it belongs, his youngest son Albus must struggle with the weight of a family legacy he never wanted. As past and present fuse ominously, both father and son learn the uncomfortable truth: sometimes, darkness comes from unexpected places. (synopsis from Goodreads)

My thoughts: Harry Potter and the Cursed Child was a fun, good read. Yes, it was very different from the other books, but that was expected. I mean, it is written as a script, not a book. But it was okay. I wasn’t entirely sure whether I’d actually read it, because I was sad that it was going to be different from the other books, but then I saw it at the library and just couldn’t help myself. And I’m glad I decided to read it, because it was still enjoyable.

   Harry Potter is the first book that I can remember reading, and also what got me into reading in the first place. I watched the movies with my family when I was nine, and loved them, so I borrowed the book. I finished the whole series in three months, that’s how much I loved it. So Harry Potter will always have a special place in my heart. So reading The Cursed Child was a walk down memory lane in so many ways, which is part of the reason I liked it so much.

   The best thing about the book, however, was the dialogue. While the writing was very different, as was expected, it was still the characters that I love, along with some new ones that I love as well, and the dialogue was great and funny.

   The plot was also good. I think the play would be great to watch, but sadly, I don’t live in Great Britain, so that’s a no go, but I think it would be even better to watch than to read, but all in all, I’m happy I gave it a chance.

   That being said, I understand why some people will be disappointed. I think the key is expecting something totally different, and then you might not be as disappointed. Since I wasn’t expecting much, I was happily surprised, and really enjoyed it, but if you want and expect another Harry Potter book like the others, I wouldn’t recommend it. If you’re open to something new and different, however, I’d really recommend it, because it was great.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disclaimer

I receive some books from authors, publishers and third party sites (such as Netgalley). This does in no way affect my opinion, and all thoughts expressed on this blog are unbiased and my own. I do not get compensated in any way or form.