Monday 15 May 2017

Review: The Struggle (Titan #3) by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Title: The Struggle
Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
My rating: 5 hearts
Genre: New Adult, Fantasy, Romance
Pub. date: March 20th 2017
SynopsisA bloody path has been chosen… 

The war against the Titans continues, and they remain determined to wreak havoc on the world, but Seth has become something all gods fear. Now the most dangerous, most absolute power no longer resides in those who have been freed from their tombs. 

The Great War fought by the few is coming… 

All may doubt and fear what Seth has become. All except the one woman who might be his final chance at redemption. Josie will do anything to prove that Seth is on their side, but fate has a nasty way of changing lives, of changing people. 

In the end, the sun will fall… 

The only way they can save the future and save themselves is by facing the unknown together. It will take more than trust and faith. It will take love and the kind of strength not easily broken. No matter what, their lives will never be the same. 
For what the gods have feared has come to pass. The end of the old is here and the beginning of the new has been ushered in… (synopsis from Goodreads)

I don’t even know where to begin to describe the wondrous journey that was this book. As I’ve come to expect from any JLA books, The Struggle was emotional, unique and captivating. It’s impossible to not get caught in her books and then stuck until you’ve finished it. Armentrout just has this thing in her writing that you can’t put your finger on, that makes any book a magical read, that thing that makes a book go from “amazing” to “how-do-I-get-back-to-life-after-this?” And I suppose I shouldn’t still be surprised every time I pick up a book by her and then notice a day later that I’m finished, but I am. I feel like Armentrout is spoiling me with her good writing.

   Let’s start with Josie.

   I loved Josie from the start, but in The Struggle, she’s more come to terms with what she is, and more importantly, she’s learned how to use her powers, and in that, has become more secure in that and a lot more badass. Not to mention stubborn. I’ve loved watching her grow through these books, and this book wasn’t any exception. I also loved how she was determined to find Seth, to fight for him, even when everyone else was telling her it was pointless. It warmed my heart, because while I didn’t ship Seth with Alex, I always loved him, and wanted for him to find someone else.

   Seth… *sigh*

I’ve always loved Seth. Well, except from in the last three books in The Covenant series, but I do love him. And after what he did for Alex and Aiden in the end of Sentinel, all was forgiven and I was back to just wanting to hug him (or kiss him). I love his sarcasm, that he’s totally badass and protective, but can also be really sweet with Josie. Basically, he’s just swoon-worthy. And I’ve loved seeing how much he’s grown, not only in this series, but The Covenant, as well. Yeah, he’s made a lot of mistakes, but he learned from them and grew.

   The plot was a bit slower than the other books.

   Usually, when reading Fantasy, I want a fast plot, but the thing with The Struggle is that I didn’t mind it, because there is so much focus on the characters, on character development, that it still hooks the reader. And it felt like it was perfect for right now; everything that happened needed to happen, and the things that didn’t happen yet just didn’t need to happen right now. If anything, it just made the wait for the last book feel so much longer. And also, the plot twists keep you on your toes throughout.

   The writing is absolutely magical.

   I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again; Armentrout knows how to write. There is good writing, and then there is this. It doesn’t matter what genre she writes, the writing always has that little extra that makes the book feel oh-so real and impossible to put down. I can’t put my finger on it, but it makes the reading experience so much better.

   So, to sum it up, The Struggle is the perfect continuation to the series, and makes it nearly impossible to wait for the final book. With swoon-worthy romance, heart-stopping plot twists and magical writing, it will take you on a journey you’ll never forget.
All the rumors you heard about her state aren’t true. 

Well, mostly. When she's not hard at work writing, she spends her time, reading, working out, watching zombie movies, and pretending to write.

She is the author of the Covenant Series (Spencer Hill Press), the Lux Series (Entangled Teen), Don't Look Back (Disney/Hyperion) and a yet untitled novel (Disney/Hyperion), and new YA paranormal series with Harlequin Teen. 

Jennifer also writes New Adult and Adult romance under the pen name J. Lynn. The Gamble Brothers Series (Tempting the Best Man/Tempting the Player) and Wait for You. Under her pen name, she is published with Entangled Brazen and HarperCollins.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disclaimer

I receive some books from authors, publishers and third party sites (such as Netgalley). This does in no way affect my opinion, and all thoughts expressed on this blog are unbiased and my own. I do not get compensated in any way or form.