Wednesday 24 October 2018

The dark side of wishes - Circle of Ashes Review

*Disclaimer: I received a review copy from the author for review consideration. This does in no way affect my opinion, and all thoughts expressed in this review are unbiased and my own.*
Title: Circle of Ashes
Series: Wish Quartet #2
Author: Elise Kova
My rating: 4.5 hearts
Genre: New Adult, Fantasy, Romance
Pub. date: April 9th 2018
Publisher: Silver Wing Press
SynopsisEVERY WISH HAS A COST BUT WILL THE SOCIETY BE WILLING TO PAY IT? 

Once a hacker-for-hire living in the shadows, Josephina “Jo” Espinosa is the newest member of a magical Society. Their mandate? To grant the wishes of mortals. A simple enough task until Jo is faced with an impossible wish – and her inability to grant it might spell disaster for her entire team, if not the Society itself. 

Jo is used to high-pressure situations, but after a string of disasters, the last thing she needs is stakes of this magnitude. Especially given that neither she nor the Society know quite what the consequences of failing to grant a wish might be. 

The only person with answers is the Society’s aloof and cryptic leader, Snow. Yet while Jo is enigmatically drawn to the man, all their clandestine encounters leave her with only more questions about the true nature of the Society, her magic, and her own history. 

Time is running out for the Society, and an executioner will rise from among them to exact the price of failure. (synopsis from Goodreads)
I really liked the first book in the series, but I felt like something was missing. That something extra that really gets you invested in the characters. That something extra that bring a book from ‘great’ to ‘mind-blowing’. 

Circle of Ashes had that little extra that the first book was missing. Basically, Circle of Ashes had all the things I loved about Society of Wishes, but more of everything. It was amazing.

I’m really liking the changes I’m seeing in Jo. She’s still a little rash sometimes, she still isn’t the best at team-work, but she’s growing, and I like it. I have to say I like her a lot more than in the first book. I’m really excited to see how she keeps growing in the other books.

There was more romance in this one, and I loved it! In the first book, it felt a little like it came from out of nowhere, but either way, I liked how it developed in this book. And I like Snow. There’s so much tension between him and Jo, and I love it. 

The plot was great. It was well-paced, with a lot of tension. And the world-building was amazing. It’s definitely the highlight of this series, because it’s such a unique and interesting world that you just can’t help but want to know more about. The world-building is so well-done and intricately woven, you can tell the authors really put thought into it. I liked finding out new things about the world, but I still have so many questions. I want to know everything about this world! (And also, after this series, more books about wishes, because it’s honestly so much fun!)

I’m really looking forward to reading the rest of the series. This world is really interesting, and I can’t wait to have some answers (hopefully soon). And with the character development and better plot, Circle of Ashes was so much better than the first book. It’s definitely a series I would recommend! Especially for anyone who loves leaving this world and entering a totally new one while reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disclaimer

I receive some books from authors, publishers and third party sites (such as Netgalley). This does in no way affect my opinion, and all thoughts expressed on this blog are unbiased and my own. I do not get compensated in any way or form.