Tuesday 7 May 2019

A Complex and Exhilarating Adventure - Storm and Fury ARC Review

Storm and Fury (The Harbinger #1)
by Jennifer L. Armentrout
Publisher: Inkyard Press
Publication date: June 11, 2019

Synopsis:

Eighteen-year-old Trinity Marrow may be going blind, but she can see and communicate with ghosts and spirits. Her unique gift is part of a secret so dangerous that she’s been in hiding for years in an isolated compound fiercely guarded by Wardens—gargoyle shape-shifters who protect humankind from demons. If the demons discover the truth about Trinity, they’ll devour her, flesh and bone, to enhance their own powers.

When Wardens from another clan arrive with disturbing reports that something out there is killing both demons and Wardens, Trinity’s safe world implodes. Not the least because one of the outsiders is the most annoying and fascinating person she’s ever met. Zayne has secrets of his own that will upend her world yet again—but working together becomes imperative once demons breach the compound and Trinity’s secret comes to light. To save her family and maybe the world, she’ll have to put her trust in Zayne. But all bets are off as a supernatural war is unleashed…



It’s been over a week since I read this book, and I’m still not quite sure how to put my thoughts into words. I should be used to it by now; I’ve read so many of Armentrout’s books that I should be used to how her books affect me. I shouldn’t be this shocked, and yet, I still have no idea what to say other than wow.

I love Trinity. She’s relatable and realistic, and she really pops off the page. She’s sweet and caring, and impossible not to like. Trinity is the kind of girl anyone would be lucky to have as a friend. I loved reading about her.

And then there’s Zayne. I loved him in the Dark Elements series, and I still love him. I didn’t ship him with Layla, but it still hurt seeing him hurt, so I love that he’s getting his own story, hopefully his own happily ever after. Zayne is just such a good guy. He’s caring, has a heart of gold, and even though he was really freaking frustrating in this book, I still love him. 

The plot was great. It was well-paced and had me hooked from page one. And the world is really original and interesting. I loved it in the original series, and I love learning more about this world. The world-building is amazing, and I honestly can’t wait to learn more about it. 

The writing was amazing, as I’ve come to expect of Armentrout. Whether she writes suspenseful romance or young adult fantasy, she has this amazing ability to pull you into any world and make it feel as real as the world we live in. And when you finish the book, you look up, blinking, and can’t understand how it wasn’t real. You completely forget that you’re reading, and if you ask me, that’s the most amazing thing an author can do. 

With Storm and Fury, Armentrout truly outdid herself. It’s more complex, more exhilarating, more everything. Trust me, this is not a fantasy you want to miss out on. It has everything a good fantasy needs; a kickass, feministic heroine, an exhilarating plot, and writing that just sucks you in. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disclaimer

I receive some books from authors, publishers and third party sites (such as Netgalley). This does in no way affect my opinion, and all thoughts expressed on this blog are unbiased and my own. I do not get compensated in any way or form.