Wednesday 20 May 2015

Review: Anna and the French Kiss (Anna and the French Kiss #1) by Stephanie Perkins



Title: Anna and the French Kiss
Author: Stephanie Perkins
Rating: ❤❤❤❤❤
Publisher: Dutton Juvenile
Release date: December 1, 2010
Genre: Young Adult, Contemporary, Romance
Summary: Anna has a happy life in Atlanta, with a loyal best friend, and she’s in love with her co-worker, who just recently started to return her feelings, so she isn’t thrilled when her father decides to send her to Paris for her last year in high school.
   She goes to Paris, and starts her last year in School of America, knowing only how to say ‘hello’ and ‘thank you’ in French.
   In Paris, she meets Meredith, Rashmi, Josh and they become friends. Not to mention Étienne St. Clair, who soon becomes her best friend. Anna’s year in Paris – “the City of Love” – might not be as boring as she thought…


My thoughts: I loved Anna and the French Kiss. It had it all; romance, heartbreak, friends, school drama, family. It was truly an emotional roller-coaster. I fell in love with Étienne with Anna. I cried with her. I laughed with her. It was a long time since a book woke that many emotions in me, which is what makes it so great; it made it impossible to put it away. I just had to know how it went for Anna and Étienne.
   The main character, Anna, was really relatable. All of the characters were. Anna is a really sweet girl. She loves her family above all, although she’s mad at her father for sending her to Paris and for leaving her and her brother, Sean, when they were small. She’s very caring, although she can seem a little egotistical sometimes, a little too caught up in her own problems to notice everyone else’s problems, but when she does notice them, she’s there for them and tries to come with advice. What I loved so much about Anna was that she knew that she wasn’t perfect and could admit when she made mistakes.
   Étienne was a very lovable character. Sure, he made mistakes, and it took a long time for him to grow some balls, but I can forgive him for that. He has some major family problems, with his father being an idiot, and he doesn’t really talk about him a lot. He takes on the task of showing Anna Paris, and he soon becomes her best friend. They have a lot of fun together.
   Bridgette and Toph are her friends from Atlanta. Bridgette, or Bridge, is Anna’s best friend in Atlanta, and is one of the reasons why Anna doesn’t want to go to Paris. Toph is her co-worker, friend, and maybe-something-more, and he’s also a big reason why she doesn’t want to leave Atlanta.
   Her new friends in Paris are Meredith, who is in love with Étienne, Josh, who is very artistic and dating Rashmi, who at first seems to hate Anna.
   I love Stephanie Perkins for not feeling the need to write about perfect characters that never make any mistakes, like some authors do, because it’s not realistic. No one is perfect, and just because a character isn’t perfect doesn’t mean the reader won’t like him/her. On the contrary, readers like when the characters have flaws and make mistakes (at least, I do), because it makes them more relatable.
   Another thing I really loved about this book was that the characters really grew throughout the book. I’m not going to make any examples, because I don’t want to spoil anything, but the characters learned from their mistakes. It took a while sometimes, but they did learn and grow. They didn’t excuse their behavior. They didn’t deny to doing anything wrong.
   I also loved the setting. I'm really love Paris, and dream of going there, and this book made me want to go there even more than I did before. It was really believable, and it almost felt as if I was there.
   So overall I'm really impressed with Stephanie Perkins. More often than not, I reas books that have either good plot, good characters or good setting. Anna had it all. 
   And the romance was truly magical. Sparks, butterflies, the lot, but it also showed the backside of being in love.
   And the cover is really cute.
   This book was très bien.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disclaimer

I receive some books from authors, publishers and third party sites (such as Netgalley). This does in no way affect my opinion, and all thoughts expressed on this blog are unbiased and my own. I do not get compensated in any way or form.