Sunday 9 August 2015

Review: The One (The Selection #3) by Kiera Cass

Title: The One
Author: Kiera Cass
My rating: ❤❤❤
Genre: Young Adult, Romance, Science Fiction
Publication date: May 6th, 2014
Publisher: HarperTeen
Summary:The time has come for one winner to be crowned.

 When she was chosen to compete in the Selection, America never dreamed she would find herself anywhere close to the crown—or to Prince Maxon's heart. But as the end of the competition approaches, and the threats outside the palace walls grow more vicious, America realizes just how much she stands to lose—and how hard she'll have to fight for the future she wants. (summary from Goodreads)

My thoughts: Welcome to a world of disappointment.
   I was annoyed with America and Maxon throughout the bigger part of this book. It felt like half of it consisted of them fighting. One of them did something stupid (usually America), the other got mad and they yelled at each other. Then there was a small amount of time when one of them wasn’t mad at the other, and then the same thing happened again. It went so quickly from being great between them, to them yelling at each other. It was way too much back and forth.
   Let’s start with America.
   The best way to explain America is with this quote:
   “America, you are full of nothing but bad ideas. Great intentions but awful ideas.”
   She clearly cannot make grown-up, sensible decisions.
   Example:
   I’m going to prove this with another quote.
   “What if Maxon picks someone else? I can’t walk away from this with nothing. At least if Aspen still thinks there’s a chance, maybe we could try again when everything’s over.”
   She’s making Aspen believe that there’s a chance between the two of them, even though she’s decided there isn’t. Unless Maxon picks someone else, that is. Then he’ll do. This is so stupid and mean that I’m not even going to try to say something about it.
   I was expecting, hoping for, something epic.
   I wanted the end of this (because even if there are more books in this series, this is still kind of like an ending, since the other ones will be from Eadlyn’s POV, and will not focus on America and Maxon) to be as good as the beginning, if not better. I hoped that The Elite was an exception, that The One would be better. It wasn’t. I was mostly annoyed with the characters. Aspen refused to let go, Maxon was going back and forth between America and Kriss all the time, America didn’t seem to be able to make a decision. One minute, she’d be ready to become princess and marry Maxon, the next, she’d be avoiding him at all costs.
   The ending.
   It was too obvious. And I just didn’t like it. Sure, it made me cry. A lot. But, while Veronica Roth’s ending made sense, this one doesn’t.
   SPOILER ALERT: A lot of people die.
   And it’s not like in Allegiant, where the ending made sense and somehow felt right – even though it broke our hearts – but a lot of people die, and it’s completely pointless. I get that sometimes, you have to kill some of the characters, no matter how sad it will make you. And sometimes, it is necessary for the story, it makes it better, even. Then, no matter how heartbroken you get, that can be a small consolation.
   That’s not the case here. They just die, and that’s it.
   That being said, it’s not terrible.
   The plot was actually pretty good, which makes up for the characters. It wasn’t as good as I hoped, but it wasn’t bad. And I liked the series, even if there were some major problems with The One.

2 comments:

  1. Sorry this one disappointed you :/ I loved this one a lot more than I thought I would(The Elite let me down, so my expectations were low). I wish there had been more rebel action throughout the series though. That's my major complaint(along with the sometimes foolish actions of the characters :P)

    I just read the Heir and liked it a lot! I know most people complain about Eadlyn's selfishness, but I liked her character; she felt realistic to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hoped for some more rebel action, too. I actually had pretty high expectations of this one, since I loved The Selection, and so often the second book is bad, but then the rest is Amazing, so I really hoped that would be the case with this series.

      Haha, yes, sometimes the characters act rather foolishly.

      I didn't like The Heir as much as I wanted to, but I agree about Eadlyn. Not all people are selfless, so why are there no books with selfish heroines? I think you can be a little selfish without being a terrible person.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disclaimer

I receive some books from authors, publishers and third party sites (such as Netgalley). This does in no way affect my opinion, and all thoughts expressed on this blog are unbiased and my own. I do not get compensated in any way or form.