Tuesday 29 March 2016

My Year in Books 2015


So, this post is a little late, it was supposed to be posted in January, but so far, I have had a very busy 2016, so it is a little late, but better late than never, right? In this post, I will sum up my 2015 in books. What books made me swoon, what books became new favourites, what books disappointed me? Without further ado, let’s start!

Best cover
Don’t judge a book by its cover, they say. And I try to give a book a chance, even if the cover sucks, but the cover does matter. For example, I’ve seen a YA book with a cover that looks like it belongs with the Children’s Fiction, and it is an absolutely amazing YA book. If I hadn’t heard of it before, I probably wouldn’t have given it a shot, because it looked so childish. So, yeah, the cover does matter, because it is the first thing you see, and first impressions are important, no matter how much we hate it. Some of my favourite covers from 2015 are Their Fractured Light by Amie Kaufman, The Dreamer by E. J. Mellow, Ten Thousand Skies Above You by Claudia Gray, and Winter by Marissa Meyer. This was a pretty tough decision, all these covers are amazing, but I decided on The Dreamer. I picked it because not only is it very pretty, but it also matches the plot very well, and I think that’s important about a cover.

Best male
Oh, there are so many swoon-worthy guys from 2015. Adrian from The Ruby Circle, Dev from The Dreamer, Roth from Every Last Breath, to mention a few. This was a really hard decision to make, in my opinion they all deserve the title, but I have decided on Dev from The Dreamer, because he is a perfect example of a swoon-worthy male. I fangirled a lot over him while reading it. I could go on and on all day about everything I loved about Dev.

Best heroine
The main character is very important to a book. I think the most important things in a heroine is that they are independent and relatable. I have three favourite heroines from 2015; Sydney from The Ruby Circle, Cinder from Winter and Layla from Every Last Breath. They’re all independent, kick-ass heroines, in my opinion, and they’re all relatable, and it was a hard decision, but finally, I picked the heroine I could relate to the most; Sydney.
I picked Sydney because she is not scared of standing up to herself and those she loves, even if it is against her own family, and she really reminds me of me in some ways. She’s a great example of a good heroine that will have you root for them from page one.

Most disappointing book
I’m sad to tell you that there have been some huge disappointments, too. This is not a title I give a book lightly, I'm all for giving a book a chance, but there were just some books that really disappointed me this year. There are mainly three books; Connected by Kat Stiles, The Ugly Stepsister by Aya Ling and Always Kiss Me Goodnight by Megan Gaudino. This one was actually pretty easy to decide on, there was one that disappointed me so much, that I barely bothered finishing it. I have read reviews of this book, and there are a lot of people who have loved it, but it just wasn’t my thing. I’ve picked Connected as the most disappointing book of 2015, because I had high hopes for it, but it just didn’t really feel all that serious. There was too little focus on the plot and too much focus on the romance. It felt more like a very boring romance book than a fantasy book. I can see why people may like it, and it wasn’t bad written, but it really wasn’t my cup of tea.
 
Best Contemporary romance
A lot of strong contestants for this one, both YA and NA books. I’ve considered Fall with Me by Jennifer L. Armentrout, All Played Out by Cora Carmack, Wild Reckless by Ginger Scott, but finally decided on Nowhere but Here by Katie McGarry.
This was actually a pretty easy choice, although there were other great Contemporary romances, but Nowhere but Here really stood out. I’ve loved all of Katie’s books, but there was just something special, something more, about Nowhere but Here. The characters, the plot, the romance, everything about it was just amazing. This is how a Contemporary romance book should be!

Best Fantasy
This one was a bit harder, though. There are so many amazing Fantasy books from 2015; The Ruby Circle by Richelle Mead, Winter by Marissa Meyer, Thief of Lies by Brenda Drake, Every Last Breath by Jennifer L. Armentrout. All books were absolutely amazing, and it was really hard to choose just one. I’d like to say all four of them, but I’ll say Winter, because it was such a perfect end to the series, and I loved every second of reading it.
I also love retellings, and Winter is a perfect example for how a retelling should be written; still keeping the original story of Snow White, in this case, but changing enough things to make it unpredictable and original. You need to be able to recognize Snow White in the story, but not too much of it, because that makes it predictable and boring to read. Meyer succeeded with this.
 
My favourite book of 2015
The impossible question. Which book was my absolute favourite of 2015? As you can see above, I have read a lot of absolutely amazing books, and picking a favourite all categories was definitely not an easy quest. Every Last Breath, Nowhere but Here, Winter, The Ruby CircleThere are just so many to pick from! But, if I have to pick one, I’ll pick… Winter! I have waited for so long for this book, and reading it was such an amazing journey, the characters were amazing, the plot was fast-paced, the ending was perfect… There was just so much to love about it! And the epilogue in Stars Above… What can you say? Everything was just perfect. And the feels!

So, to sum it up, I have read a lot of great books 2015, with great characters, a lot of swoon, and great plotlines, but there has also been some big disappointments. But overall, 2015 has been a good book-year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disclaimer

I receive some books from authors, publishers and third party sites (such as Netgalley). This does in no way affect my opinion, and all thoughts expressed on this blog are unbiased and my own. I do not get compensated in any way or form.