Tuesday 17 December 2019

Slow start but amazing end - Becoming Review

Becoming: The Balance Bringer (The Balance Bringer Chronicles #1)
by Debra Kristi
My rating: 3.5 hearts
Publication date: January, 2018
Genre: Young Adult, Fantasy, Romance

Synopsis:

Ana still blames herself for her boyfriend's death two years prior. Now, what she thought were mere dreams are starting to enter her waking life.

As Eerie shadows hunt Ana, strange new abilities develop. Her dream guy becomes reality, and Ana is becoming something...other.

Ana feels like she's becoming something beyond human, or maybe she's just going crazy. But there's no one for her to turn to. Her mother and her best friend are keeping a dark secret about who Ana really is―a secret that could restore the balance between worlds or hurtle them deeper into darkness.

Ana is not only discovering the world is far stranger than she ever expected, but that its survival is dependent on her. But for there to even be a glimmer of a chance at salvation, she must make it alive to the home she's never known.

If you devoured the Mortal Instruments series you'll love this award-winning, action-packed, romance-touched, coming-of-age adventure told from the point-of-view of a confused and unreliable high-school senior.


Add to Goodreads!


I have mixed feelings about this one, to be honest. It didn't start out very promising, but since I was really interested in the premise and the world, I pushed through, and I flew through the second half. I can't wait to read the rest of the series!

I have mixed feelings about the main character. On one hand, I had a really hard time connecting with her. I'm not entirely sure why, but I think it's about the way she acted. But I still enjoyed reading about her. She was interesting, she was quirky, and she was such a badass. I couldn't relate to her, but I was still very interested to see how things would turn out for her.

The romance was... I'm not even sure what word to use here. It was... different. At the beginning, it seems like there will be three love interests (a... love square?) which made the main character seem really boy crazy. But it gets better with time, and it becomes clear that we aren't talking about a whole bunch of love interests. (Also something really icky that is super spoilery, but thankfully that's just very brief.)

The plot was good. It started out a bit slow, and it felt like it took a while to really start, but I think that has more to do with the world-building than the actual plot. But overall, the plot was great, and it's very promising for the upcoming books in the series.

The world-building could've definitely been better. It took a very long time before we (the reader) learned anything real about the world, which annoyed me a bit. For the most part of the book, it was mostly lies and very vague statements that could mean anything. It wasn't until after halfway through that I actually learned anything about the world, and then everything came at once. I would've liked the information to have been spread out more evenly through the book, but the world is very interesting and it wasn't until around 40% through that it started bothering me.

Overall, it was a definitely enjoyable read, but more importantly, it's an interesting beginning to a series that will make it impossible to quit after reading the first book. So now, if you'll excuse me, I'll go read the second book.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disclaimer

I receive some books from authors, publishers and third party sites (such as Netgalley). This does in no way affect my opinion, and all thoughts expressed on this blog are unbiased and my own. I do not get compensated in any way or form.