Tuesday 19 April 2016

Review: The Power (Titan #2) by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Title: The Power
Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
My rating: 5 emotional, oh-my-gods-did-that-just-happen hearts
Genre: New Adult, Fantasy, Romance
Pub. date: February 23rd 2016
Publisher: Spencer Hill
Synopsis: With any great change, there is always strife, and the Covenant University has become the frontline between pure-bloods who want the Breed Order reinstated and the half-bloods who want the right to control their own destinies.

Fate has other plans.

 The violence is escalating and war between the races seems inevitable, and it couldn’t come at a worse time. Hyperion may be out of commission, but Josie and Seth know they have only earned a reprieve.  Seth must get Josie fully prepared, which means controlling her newfound abilities, and they need to find the other demigods before the Titans do.

But the gods are sensing a greater threat. 

Only one thing is more dangerous than a bunch of starved Titans, and that’s an out-of-control Apollyon. The aether in Josie is drawing Seth in deeper, and when lust mixes with love and gives way to power, he knows being close to her is not only dangerous to her, but to everyone around them, but letting her go requires a level of selflessness that just isn’t Seth’s style.

The paths taken in the past are becoming the roads of the future.

Just as chaos breaks out, familiar faces from the past return, complicating the already strained bond between Josie and Seth, and when the danger from the Titans erupts with devastating consequences, the dark allure of power calls to Seth again, but this time Josie might not be able to pull him back.

 And when the struggle between power and love becomes the deadliest battleground, there may be no salvation.
 (synopsis from Goodreads)
My thoughts:

   Oh my Gods! That was so emotion-packed, I’m still reeling from it, a day later. The ending broke my heart! Can’t 2017 get here already?
   Josie is getting better at fighting, which just proves my opinion that she is a badass, and now she’s started using the elements, too. That’s going about as well as fighting was going in The Return, meaning not so well. She’s still stubborn and badass, so I’m happy.
   Seth is still… Seth, which means I still love him. I love him so much more in the Titan series than I did in the Covenant series (not to say I didn’t love him in the Covenant series). I love that he can be both really sweet with Josie and really badass when need be. And Seth and Josie are so perfect for each other! It’s hard to put my finger on exactly what makes them work so good together. Maybe it is how Seth believes he doesn’t deserve forgiveness for the things he’s done, but it’s not even a question for Josie. Maybe it is how protective Seth is over Josie, and how she defends him to those who don’t thinks he’s changed. Maybe it’s just the way they feel for each other, even when they don’t realize it. Either way, they’re such a perfect couple.
   The plot was good, a little slow at times, maybe a little too much drama, but it worked for this book. I usually hate when there’s too much focus on relationship drama and less focus on the plot, but JLA made it work in this book. I’m not really sure how, but between the very complicated relationship between Josie and Seth, the drama with the pures and halfs, and Aiden and Alex showing up, there’s plenty of stuff to keep me entertained when there isn’t action. There is still a bunch of action, though, don’t get me wrong.
   Nothing to say about the writing, as usual, it’s great.
   Oh, and did I mention we get to meet Aiden and Alex again? Maybe I did, but let me just tell you how excited I am about this: asdjoberjdlkbdfjaknbdpo! They’re still badass, still the cutest couple ever, and I have looked forward to Josie meeting Alex since I found out Josie was Apollo’s daughter (so basically, since I started reading The Return). And, yeah, that was as awkward as I’d thought it would be, if not worse. I love the mix between old characters that you love and miss, and new characters that you love.
   The ending. I’m not even sure what to say. That was probably the most heartbreaking, awful, terrible ending I’ve ever read. I mean, it made sense. It wasn’t even that shocking. I hadn’t expected it, but I wasn’t surprised. I don’t even know how to put it into words my feelings about that ending, so I’ll resort to some gifs.
 
 
   That sums it up. 2017 needs to get here now, so I can find out how it goes for Josie and Seth! If a scientist ever reads this, please, make some kind of machine that can take me into the future, because I need to read The Struggle now!
   If you haven’t read this yet, do it now, and be prepared for an emotional roller coaster that will have you crying, laughing, hyperventilating, weeping, fangirling and then crying some more.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disclaimer

I receive some books from authors, publishers and third party sites (such as Netgalley). This does in no way affect my opinion, and all thoughts expressed on this blog are unbiased and my own. I do not get compensated in any way or form.