Wednesday 27 February 2019

A Fun, Original Fantasy - Three Mages and a Margarita Review

Title: Three Mages and a Margarita
Series: The Guild Codex: Spellbound #1
Author: Annette Marie
My rating: 3.5 hearts
Genre: New Adult, Urban Fantasy
Pub. date: September 14, 2018
Publisher: Dark Owl Fantasy Inc.
SynopsisBroke, almost homeless, and recently fired. Those are my official reasons for answering a wanted ad for a skeevy-looking bartender gig.

It went downhill the moment they asked me to do a trial shift instead of an interview—to see if I'd mesh with their "special" clientele. I think that part went great. Their customers were complete dickheads, and I was an asshole right back. That's the definition of fitting in, right?

I expected to get thrown out on my ass. Instead, they… offered me the job?

It turns out this place isn't a bar. It's a guild. And the three cocky guys I drenched with a margarita during my trial? Yeah, they were mages. Either I'm exactly the kind of takes-no-shit bartender this guild needs, or there's a good reason no one else wants to work here.

So what's a broke girl to do? Take the job, of course—with a pay raise. (synopsis from Goodreads)

I’ll admit I wasn’t exactly sure what to expect when I started this one, but I was pleasantly surprised. Three Mages and a Margarita was such a fun read, and I absolutely flew through the pages. The main character, Tori, was hilarious, and the fantasy was great. It’s been a long time since I’ve had this fun reading a fantasy.

Tori is freaking hilarious. She wasn’t all that relatable to me, but she was so much fun to read about, so I enjoyed reading about her anyway. And I really liked the rest of the characters, too. They were really an eclectic bunch, and honestly, it was just so much fun seeing them interact with each other (I’m really caught up in sociology right now, okay? I can’t help it).

The fantasy was really great. I loved the idea behind the different magic classes and the guilds. It’s such an original, interesting idea, and very well-executed. And the plot was fast-paced, which, combined with the humor, really caught me from the start. It was action-packed from start to finish, and the humor really helped lighten the mood, which made for the perfect combination. 

Three Mages and a Margarita was a really fun surprise. With hilarious characters, amazing fantasy, and lots of humor, it was the book I didn’t know I needed. And the romance just added tension. I’d definitely recommend this to anyone who wants a less intense, fun fantasy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disclaimer

I receive some books from authors, publishers and third party sites (such as Netgalley). This does in no way affect my opinion, and all thoughts expressed on this blog are unbiased and my own. I do not get compensated in any way or form.