Friday 25 September 2015

Review: Sweet Reckoning (The Sweet Trilogy #3) by Wendy Higgins

*Warning: May contain spoilers, but I will insert a –SPOILER ALERT—before the spoiler, so you can read this review and just skip the spoilers, if you want*

Title: Sweet Reckoning
Author: Wendy Higgins
My rating: ❤❤❤❤❤
Genre: Young Adult, Paranormal, Romance
Publication date: April 29th 2014
Publisher: HarperTeen
Summary: It’s time.

Evil is running rampant and sweet Anna Whitt is its target. Nobody knows when or how the Dukes will strike, but Anna and her Nephilim allies will do anything necessary to rid the earth of the demons and their oppressive ways.

The stakes are higher than ever, and Anna is determined that the love she feels will be her strength, not a liability. But trying to protect the ones she loves while running for her life and battling demonic forces proves to be perilous—especially as faces are changing and trust is fleeting. When the Duke of Lust sends Anna’s great love, Kaidan Rowe, to work against her, Anna must decide how much she’s prepared to risk.

In the most sensual and fast-paced installment yet, Sweet Reckoning brings all the beloved Neph together one last time to fight for their freedom. (summary from Goodreads)


My thoughts: Wow. That is one of the best endings of a series I have ever read.
   Why did I love this book so much?
   Well, first of all, I love the characters. Higgins manages to use just the right amount of good and bad in every character. None of the characters are just good – you know, the perfect, really annoying kind? – but they aren’t just bad, either. It’s a fine line to walk, and Higgins manages it perfectly. I won’t go into details about the characters, because I’ve already done that twice in my reviews for Sweet Evil and Sweet Peril, let’s just say they’re as awesome as usual.
   I have to mention Kaidan. I think the most interesting thing about this series is watching Kaidan’s change. For those of you who have already read The Sweet Trilogy, you know what I’m talking about. I won’t say too much, because I don’t want to spoil anything for you, – SPOILER ALERT – but let’s just say he’s a different person in the end of Sweet Reckoning than he was in Sweet Evil. – END OF SPOILER – It will be interesting to read Sweet Temptation and see it from his perspective. I already marked the date in my calendar.
   I also have the sweetest quote by Kai I’d like to share with you.
   “You’re my dream. My only dream.”
   Stuff like this makes me wish I could have my very own book-boyfriend.
   There is less focus on the love triangle!
   Those of you who read my review of Sweet Peril know how agitated I was because of it. For those of you who didn’t, here’s the short version; when I started reading Sweet Evil, I did not expect a love triangle, and I was not happy when there was one.
   But it’s over in Sweet Reckoning. No love triangle. This was such awesome news!
   Another thing I’ve loved about the whole series, not just Sweet Reckoning, is the prologues. I think all three of them give you a pretty good insight of the book, and the prologue to this one especially. It’s a good introduction.
   Let’s talk about… the plot.
   “We, the Nephilim, were going to rid the earth of demons, and I was slated to lead the way.”
   That quote explains what this book is about. I like the plot. In Sweet Peril, it ended with –SPOILER ALERT FOR SWEET PERIL— the Dukes figuring out that some Neph are planning to rebel against them, and an event that had me in tears. – END OF SPOILER –Sweet Reckoning picks up right where Sweet Peril ends in a very nice way, with a prologue from some of the Dukes’ perspective.
   Welcome to an ending that will make you weep.
   I won’t say too much, but I haven’t cried that much at the end of a series since Allegiant. Make of that what you will.
   Sweet Reckoning has it all; heart-stopping suspense, swoon-worthy romance and a heartbreaking ending.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disclaimer

I receive some books from authors, publishers and third party sites (such as Netgalley). This does in no way affect my opinion, and all thoughts expressed on this blog are unbiased and my own. I do not get compensated in any way or form.