Wednesday 23 December 2015

Review: Always Kiss Me Goodnight by Megan Gaudino

Title: Always Kiss Me Goodnight
Author: Megan Gaudino
My rating: ❤❤❤
Genre: Young Adult, Fantasy, Romance
Publication date: August 26th 2015
Publisher: Evernight Teen
Synopsis: Sophia Destino is supposed to die.

All seventeen-year-old Sophia wants is to coast through her junior year. But with her parents obsessed with her Olympic-swimming-hopeful brother, a psychic best friend with a penchant for reading tarot cards, and prophetic dreams that predict her death—that won’t be easy. As her nightmares begin to come true, Sophia finds herself dodging death and longing for the time when getting over her ex-boyfriend was her biggest problem. Until she meets Leo Knight. The mysterious stranger seems determined to keep her alive—and steal her heart. But Leo has a secret that is about to change everything and Sophia is about to learn that sometimes…your number is up. (synopsis from Goodreads)

My thoughts: The idea behind this book was great, and original, which is why I picked it up, but the prosecution was faulty. First, I didn’t really like the writing. It felt stilted and awkward. I don’t know if that’s how the author intended for it to be or not, but either way, I didn’t like it.
   I wasn’t very fond of the characters, either. The main character, Sophia, wasn’t relatable at all. I mean, she meets a stranger who knows everything about her, and I mean everything, and her reaction is to trust this guy (his name’s Leo, by the way)? It doesn’t matter that he saved her life, she should be scared. That would be the natural reaction, not to trust him. It’s just not… well, realistic. And another thing; Leo isn’t human, and so he is stronger than humans. At one time, he hurts her, and she gets bruises on her wrists. This is how she feels about it:
   “My bruises, and the messed up way I liked them, were not the issue.”
   Right, okay, so it’s not a problem that someone physically hurts you? I can’t even explain how annoyed I get when I read this sentence. It makes it seem like it’s okay for a guy to hurt a girl, which is nowhere near true.
   I could list everything I didn’t like about the characters, and Sophia especially, all day, but no one would want to read that. The one good thing was that the characters weren’t perfect, but that didn’t make me like them more.
   The ending. I get that some authors want the readers to think for themselves how it ends, and therefore end the book with some loose endings, but this ending is just ridiculous. I mean, okay, leave a couple things for the readers to figure out for themselves, but I still think they should tie up some loose endings at the end of the book. This ending was just very abrupt, and I didn’t like it. When I was at the end of the book, I couldn’t even begin to imagine how the author would be able to tie up the loose endings before the end, and, as it turned out, she didn’t. So, yeah, I didn’t like the ending. Everything felt unfinished. Or it’s predictability. I could tell from the beginning how it would end.
   To sum it up, the idea behind this book was great, and I had pretty high hopes of it, but the execution disappointed. I enjoyed it a little, but it was still a big disappointment.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disclaimer

I receive some books from authors, publishers and third party sites (such as Netgalley). This does in no way affect my opinion, and all thoughts expressed on this blog are unbiased and my own. I do not get compensated in any way or form.