I'm so excited to share the Blog Tour of Forget Me Not, a Young Adult Historical Romance by Allison Whitmore. It was published September 14th 2015. I have a giveaway and an interview to share, so keep reading!
Title: Forget Me Not
Author: Allison Whitmore
Genre: Young Adult, Historical, Romance
Publication date: September 14th 2015
Publisher: Booktrope Editions
Theodora "Teddi" Donovan and Calvin Wynne have always hated each other. They didn't have a choice after Teddi's bootlegger father killed Calvin's and left them both orphaned. The scandal has fueled gossip in quiet, quaint Brookhurst, New York, for over a decade. When a friendship develops between them as teenagers, they are ridiculed and shunned by the strict society that dictates life in their town. As they grow older, friendship turns into love, and Teddi and Calvin have to choose between their future and the scepter of their past. Spanning continents and decades, Forget Me Not is a coming-of-age story about truth, self-reliance, and the freeing power of love. (synopsis from Goodreads)
1. Where did you get inspiration for Forget Me Not?
I was inspired by a friend’s short story. I really loved the setting.
2. What was the hardest part about writing your book?
Re-writing and researching were both particularly difficult but still enjoyable, of course. I loved being in Teddi and Calvin’s world and missed it when it was over. I guess it’s not really since I get to do these fun tours and such.
3. What part of writing it did you enjoy the most?Creating dialogue. It’s fun to sort of let the characters talk themselves through a situation or a scene. I really don’t feel as if I’m planning word-for-word when I write dialogue. It definitely just flows.
4. Which is your favourite character in Forget Me Not, and why?I love Calvin and Teddi. They are the heart of the story. They are strong characters who stick to their beliefs while growing in the process. My other favorite character is Teddi’s sister, Liza. She’s just super fun to write even thoug she’s not in the book as much.
5. If you would pick 3 songs that reflects your book, what would they be?
- Forget Me Not (Garrison Starr)
- Moonlight Serenade (Glenn Miller) (vocals: Frank Sinatra)
- Si Tu Vois Ma Mère (Sidney Bechet)
6. What advice would you give aspiring authors?
Focus, be dedicated and believe in yourself.
Allison Whitmore started her first novel, Forget Me Not, one icy morning in her dorm room in Southampton, NY. After many years of teaching high school English, she came back to the novel to rewrite it. Allison comes from a family who loves history and enjoyed immersing herself in the research that brought Teddi and Calvin’s world to life. She lives in her hometown, Los Angeles, California. You can find her on Twitter @alli_whitmore and her website: allisonwhitmore.com.