Sunday 12 April 2015

Review: Wings (Wings #1) by Aprilynne Pike

Title: Wings
Author: Aprilynne Pike
My rating: ❤❤❤❤❤
Genre: Young Adult, Fantasy, Paranormal Romance
Release date: May 5, 2009
Publisher: HarperTeen
Summary: Wings is about 15-year-old Laurel, who just moved from her family's land in Orick, where she was homeschooled by her mother. When they move, she has to start high school. She meets and becomes friends with David and Chelsea.

Then one day she gets a bump between her shoulders. At first, she thinks it's just a zit, but then it grows, and one day it sprouts into a flower that looks like wings, and then she and David tries to figure out why and how.

Then one day when she and her parents go to the family home, and she meets Tamani. Laurel find herself inexplicably drawn to Tamani, and he has the answers to her questions. He tell her that she is a plant, a fearie, and why she was sent to the human world.

She has to save the fearie's secret, protect her family, sort out her complicated feelings for David and Tamani, and figure out who she is.

My thoughts: Let's start with Laurel. She is pretty different; she's a strict vegan, haven't hit puberty yet and has never been to school before, but was homeschooled bu her mother. She was left in a basket on her parents porch when she was three, and doesn't know who her parents are. She's lived all her Life in her family's family home in Orick, until they move to Crescent City because her father bought a bookstore.

I liked Laurel. I think she was a nice character, and it was really cativating to read about her. I couldn't put the book away, because I had to see what would happen. And all her reactions seemed pretty normal - if you got a softball sized bump between your shoulder, I think anyone would be a Little freaked out.

Her best friend David is a science freak, and he knows a lot about biology, so he helps her do some experiments when she gets the flower. He was a sweet guy, who was always there for Laurel if she needed anything. He wants to be more than her friend, but he's very patient and doesn't pressure her, and I think I started falling in love with David from the first chapter. He was the perfect friend to Laurel, and my favorite character (along with Laurel's other friend, Chelsea).

Then we have Tamani. He is the fearie Laurel meets in her family home, and Laurel feels drawn to him from the very first time they meet. He's a sentry, and has looked after her for almost her whole life, and at first, Laurel gets a bit frightened by him.

I'm actually not entirely sure how I feel about Tamani. On one hand, he had his moments when he was sweet and nice, but something about him just didn't really work for him. I can't pinpoint exactly what it was.

I really liked this book. It was captivating, well-written and I really liked the characters. It felt somehow believable, even though it was about fearies, and I couldn't put it down, because I had to know what would happen next. I'd definitely recommend this book.

And that cover! I love that cover!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disclaimer

I receive some books from authors, publishers and third party sites (such as Netgalley). This does in no way affect my opinion, and all thoughts expressed on this blog are unbiased and my own. I do not get compensated in any way or form.