Sunday 8 November 2015

Review: Losing It (Losing It #1) by Cora Carmack

Title: Losing It
Author: Cora Carmack
My rating: 3.7 hearts
Genre: New Adult, Contemporary, Romance
Publication date: October 15th 2012
Publisher: HarperCollins Publishers
Synopsis: Sick of being the only virgin among her friends, Bliss Edwards decides the best way to deal with the problem is to lose it as quickly and simply as possible - a one-night stand. But her plan turns out to be anything but simple when she freaks out and leaves a gorgeous guy alone and naked in her bed with an excuse that no one with half-a-brain would ever believe. And as if that weren't embarrassing enough, when she arrives for her first class of her last college semester, she recognizes her new theatre professor. She'd left him naked in her bed about 8 hours earlier. (synopsis from Goodreads)

My thoughts: Since I absolutely love Rusk University, I had big expectations of this book. I mean, who wouldn’t, after reading that series? And I was sad to notice that I was very disappointed. It wasn’t bad. It’s not that. And it had the potential of becoming a good novel. I just didn’t really enjoy it as much as I wanted.
   So, I’m still trying to figure out what exactly went wrong. Why didn’t this book catch my attention and hold it like the Rusk University series?
   I think, partly, it was because of the characters. In Rusk University, I cared about the characters. When they were happy, I was happy. When they were sad, I was sad. When they were angry, I was angry. When they got their heart broken, it felt as though my heart broke. And for me, that is what gets a book from four stars to five stars. That little extra that makes it an awesome experience. And Losing It lacked that little extra. I just didn’t care about the characters enough for it to be the great read I’d hoped it would be.
   Also, the attraction between Bliss and Garrick didn’t feel as real as it did between the couples from Rusk University (I realize that I compare this to Rusk a lot, and I am sorry for that, but it’s because I know Cora can write so much better than this). It felt a little stilted and just not that real. It didn’t catch my attention.
   Also, I went back and forth between feeling like the plot was too fast and too slow, so I’m not exactly sure what exactly went wrong there, either. Sometimes, it went too fast, and sometimes, it went to slow, and it kind of messed with my head. Anyway, this really bothered me, so the plot didn’t really catch my attention, either. It wasn’t bad; it just wasn’t all that good.
   So, yeah, it wasn’t a bad read. I don’t regret reading it. I’d do it again (maybe not re-read it, but if I’d known this would be my thoughts, I’d still read it). It just didn’t really make me feel that much, which is why I’m giving it 3.7 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disclaimer

I receive some books from authors, publishers and third party sites (such as Netgalley). This does in no way affect my opinion, and all thoughts expressed on this blog are unbiased and my own. I do not get compensated in any way or form.