Thursday 21 April 2016

Review: Goddess Interrupted (The Goddess Test #2) by Aimee Carter

Title: Goddess Interrupted
Author: Aimee Carter
My rating: 4.5 can't-wait-to-read-the-continuation hearts
Genre: Young Adult, Fantasy, Romance
Pub. date: March 27th 2012
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Synopsis: Kate Winters has won immortality. But if she wants a life with Henry in the Underworld, she'll have to fight for it.

Becoming immortal wasn't supposed to be the easy part. Though Kate is about to be crowned Queen of the Underworld, she's as isolated as ever. And despite her growing love for Henry, ruler of the Underworld, he's becoming ever more distant and secretive. Then, in the midst of Kate's coronation, Henry is abducted by the only being powerful enough to kill him: the King of the Titans.
As the other gods prepare for a war that could end them all, it is up to Kate to save Henry from the depths of Tartarus. But in order to navigate the endless caverns of the Underworld, Kate must enlist the help of the one person who is the greatest threat to her future.
Henry's first wife, Persephone. (synopsis from Goodreads)

My thoughts: It was better than the first book, which was really disappointing. I was actually surprised by this book. Sure, I would’ve liked a bit more action and a bit less emotional drama, and the heroine did annoy me at times, but overall, it was a good read.

   Let’s start with Kate.
   She is brave, although that bravery can become a bit like stupidity sometimes, she doesn’t let other people make her decisions for her, she’s strong and generally a good character. I can even forgive her sometimes rash decisions, if it weren’t for all the whining. Both out loud and going on in her head. I mean, okay, anyone in her situation would have a right to whine a little, that’s understandable, but she doesn’t have to do it all the time. Yes, you heard me right, all the time. Whether she is complaining to her mother, or James, or Ava, or just quietly to herself, the whining doesn’t stop. She whines about the council not interfering (and, okay, they don’t), she whines about Henry not loving her, she whines about no one telling her anything or teaching her how to be a goddess, she whines about being Persephone’s replacement… And yes, I understand these are important parts of Kate, and that I’d probably complain about her being less human now that she’s become a goddess if they weren’t still there, but just a little more action, please?
   Kate does grow throughout the book, though, I have to give her that. By the end, I’m not as annoyed with her; she really learns something and grows. And I like that she still has her insecurities and fears even now that she’s a goddess, I would’ve just liked if there were a little less focus on that.
   Henry doesn’t really feel like Hades for me. I mean, sure, it makes sense for him to be struggling with stuff, to be a bit broody, and that’s great. I love that about him, you can really tell he’s struggling with his past, and I liked that, but otherwise he feels so… not Hades. It’s hard to explain, but I love Greek mythology, especially the story of Persephone and Hades, so of course I’ve studied it a lot. And this is not how I imagined Hades. I love Henry as a character, but not as Hades, if that makes any sense.
   Apart from that, Henry is a great character. I really love him, and I love the change you can clearly see in him in the end of the book, compared to the beginning.
   The plotline was amazing
  The plotline, though. I love the plotline, I just wish Carter would’ve put some more focus on that. The plotline is amazing. I love the twist she’s made on the story of Hades and Persephone, how she uses that story and still manages to make something completely different. And I like how she added Cronos to the mix, too. I just hope Carter really makes the best of this.
   The ending…
   I’m not sure what to say about the ending. Was it surprising? Yes. Yes it was. Was it good? I’m not sure. I guess that depends on what she does with it in the last book. It has the potential to be great, considering the problems introduced in Goddess Interrupted, and if she does this cleverly, I have high hopes for it beating both the first and second books. So please, Aimee, don’t mess this up, because I have so high expectation for The Goddess Inheritance. No pressure *wink wink*.
   To sum it up, I enjoyed reading Goddess Interrupted, and it was better than the first book. The characters were okay, mostly, and the plotline was amazing. A little less focus around the emotional drama and a little more focus around the plot, with a few more action scenes, and this would’ve been a five-star read. As it is, it gets four and a half stars, with hope for the last book to be amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disclaimer

I receive some books from authors, publishers and third party sites (such as Netgalley). This does in no way affect my opinion, and all thoughts expressed on this blog are unbiased and my own. I do not get compensated in any way or form.