Monday 7 May 2018

Guest Post: Hyped YA Books by Sammy

Hello everyone!
I'm Sammy, a book blogger from the UK. I'm super excited to be here as a featured blogger on Moa's site and so grateful for this wonderful opportunity to interact with all you lovely people! 

I thought today I would speak to you about the most hyped YA! I found an article online a few months ago and made a list of all the books it included; I thought I was a YA fan and doing rather well... apparently not that well... 

The list is rather a long one but I will include it in a blog post over on my own page - so feel free to check them off too and maybe discover some new TBRs. 

I'm going to start with those which I have read, choose my top 5, and try to convince you to read them if you haven't already. Okay maybe I'll include a 6th; I'm sure many people have read the series or at least one of the books though.

- Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo 

If you've read the Shadow and Bone trilogy and haven't yet read this; why not?! If you haven't read Shadow and Bone; why not?! But seriously, Six of Crows, and its sequel; Crooked Kingdom, I would recommend to anyone with a love for fantasy and adventure. This duology combines this with the story of life in a gang, based in a bustling city, which for most of the protagonist is many miles from home. 

Fantastic writing and an unbelivably sound plot - to add the icing to the cake; the protagonists are quite simply awesome. 

- Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas 

The protagonist of this book and series is probably one of the sassiest you will come across in your entire life - and the entertainment she provides is unparallelled. This is a fantasy story of one teenager on the path of revenge and justice; though set in an entirely fictional world, with such a talented author you are immediately taken into the Throne of Glass "wardrobe" and transported away. 

Again, this is one for fantasy and adventure fans, particularly those who like a series as this has 7 novel installments (#7 coming Autumn 2018), and a novella. 

- Lady Midnight by Cassandra Clare 

Cassandra Clare; defintely one of my go-to authors. I love the Shadowhunter world she has built from The Mortal Instruments and in my own humble opinion, her prequel and sequel trilogies to this are even better! Have no fear; you are able to pick up Lady Midnight without having read TMI - there will be an odd occasion that references TMI but in a manner consistent with the character speaking about an event in their world's history. It won't leave you behind. 

Cassie Clare's world is so rich and full of detail it's simply captivating, and her stories keep you turning page after page - I actually bought the audiobooks for the two books in these series so when I was cooking, cleaning, or biking to uni (and couldn't hold the book to read it) I could continue to listen to it instead! 

- I Am Number Four by Pittacus Lore 

One not so many people have read, but I am one of those unlucky bookworms who finds themselves surrounded by non-readers! But this series has, without fail, proved a hit with everyone I recommended it to! It still remains the only fiction series one of my friends has read all the way through. 

This is a Sci-Fi and follows a group of extra-terrestrial kids from the planet Lorien. On a mission to save the planet earth from the same fate their own home met, these protagonists have so much resting on their shoulders. 

What I love about this series is the non-stop action, the awesome POV contrasts, and the general realistic feel you get from the characters and their behaviour. If you love a good Sci-Fi then you will undoubtedly love this. (P.S. It's better than the film.) 

- Illuminae by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristof 

I just finished Obsidio which is the final book in the Illuminae files trilogy. Again this is me adding a Sci-Fi to the list but it's just so good. The format of this book is so unique, it is literally presented in files; you explore online chat conversations, emails, character reports, surveillance reports, Artificial Intelligence systems having a chat too. 

It draws you in as soon as you look at it! The first two books follow two different sets of characters, but not so far removed that they don't occasionally pop up in each others books. If you like a good space adventure with the most intense scenes ever - EVERYTHING WAS ON THE LINE I TELL YOU - then I suggest you pick up this series yesterday. 

And of course the 6th on this list is the loveable Harry Potter. You all know why you should read this - it's arguably the Holy Grail of YA and is simply MAGICAL. If you pardon the pun. *smiley angel face* 


Next up we have the list of my top 5 TBR from the most hyped YA list; if you have read any of these I would absoltely love to hear your thoughts on them? Have I made the right decision about wanting to read these? 

- The Hate You Give by Angie Thomas 

This book has had nothing but praise as far as I'm aware, and it is in fact currently sitting on me shelf waiting patiently to be read. 

The protagonist Starr Carter witnesses the shooting of her childhood best friend Khalil, and is the only person alive who can tell the truth about what really happened that night. Moving between the two worlds of the poor neighbourhood in which she lives, and the fancy suburban prep school she attends, Starr must find a balance. Anything she says about that night could not only upend her neighbourhood, but also endanger her life. 

- The Book Thief by Markus Zusak 

Another book that no end of people have recommended to me; even people who don't read that often! 

The Book Thief follows the story of Liesel Meminger; a foster girl living outside of Munich. One thing she cannot resist is books - which she steals. She shares these stolen books with her neighbours and the Jewish man hidden in her basement, until he is marched to Dachau. 

- Eragon by Christopher Paolini 

Yet another series that may have been hindered by its film adaptation... Will they ever stop? I do like this film, but based on the feedback of the book series, it really didn't do it justice. This book has been sitting on my shelf for perhaps 7 or 8 years now... Please don't judge me. I'll get to it! 

Eragon is a poor farm boy, who thinks he is unbelievably lucky once he finds a polished blue stone in the forest. But the stone brings a dragon hatchling drawing Eragon into a legacy as old as the Empire itself. Can Eragon take up the mantle of the legendary Dragon Riders? 

- The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater 

No end of hype for this book on bookstagram! I have bought the audiobook with this month's credits but I'm yet to start it. I expect really big things given the praise this entire series receives though! 

Every year, Blue Sargent stands next to her clairvoyant mother as the soon-to-be dead walk past. Blue herself never sees them—not until this year, when a boy emerges from the dark and speaks directly to her. For as long as she can remember, Blue has been warned that she will cause her true love to die. She never thought this would be a problem. But now, as her life becomes caught up in the strange and sinister world of the Raven Boys, she’s not so sure anymore. 

- Half Bad by Sally Green 

This has been a series I've seen crop up more and more recently, and to be honest this sounds to unique and original it will probably be one of those series where I buy all the books before starting the first... 

Nathan lives in a cage, he is trained to kill. Set in a modern day England where two warring factions of witches live amongst humans. Nathan's only hope of survival is to escape and find his father, Marcus - the world's most terrifying and violent witch, and receive three gifts that will bring him into is own magical powers. 

Wanted by no one. 
Hunted by everyone. 

Thank you so much for reading everyone! I know it's a long one but I wanted to provide you enough info to be able to make your own decision about adding these to your TBR! 

If you've read any of these I'd love to hear your thoughts - and maybe fangirl over some of the awesome moments in the series! 

Thank you again to Moa for this awesome opportunity! I still can't believe you picked me! <3 

I hope to hear from you all soon, 

Sammy - over and out! Xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disclaimer

I receive some books from authors, publishers and third party sites (such as Netgalley). This does in no way affect my opinion, and all thoughts expressed on this blog are unbiased and my own. I do not get compensated in any way or form.