Saturday 12 May 2018

Review: A Court of Wings and Ruin (A Court of Thorns and Roses) by Sarah J. Maas

Title: A Court of Wings and Ruin
Author: Sarah J. Maas
My rating: 5 hearts
Genre: Young Adult, Fantasy, Romance
Pub. date: May 2nd 2017
Publisher: Bloomsbury Childrens Books
SynopsisA nightmare, I’d told Tamlin. I was the nightmare.

Feyre has returned to the Spring Court, determined to gather information on Tamlin’s maneuverings and the invading king threatening to bring Prythian to its knees. But to do so she must play a deadly game of deceit—and one slip may spell doom not only for Feyre, but for her world as well. As war bears down upon them all, Feyre must decide who to trust amongst the dazzling and lethal High Lords—and hunt for allies in unexpected places. (synopsis from Goodreads)

I’m not entirely sure how to review this book, because I’m not sure I can find words to describe how much I loved this book. When I started, I wanted so much to draw it out, because I didn’t want it to end, but after one chapter, I knew that there was no way I would be able to not finish it in a matter of days. I was right. I literally read it every break I had, every second I didn’t spend in class, and it was over way too soon. I will miss this world and, maybe more importantly, the characters.

   I love the new Feyre!

   I loved her in the first book, and more in the second book, although my heart broke seeing her struggle, but in ACOWAR, she’s gone through so much character development, she’s been through hell and come back stronger after it, and she’s so much more independent, strong and badass. I absolutely loved this new version of her.

   I don’t even know what to say about Rhysand.

   I loved Rhys the moment we first met him in ACOTAR, and even more in ACOMAF, and I didn’t love him less in this book. I love how protective he is of the people he loves, yet he lets Feyre do what she wants and make her own decisions. I love how the rest of the world thinks he’s the bad guy, but really, he’s sweet and a great guy. I love how he’ll do anything for the people he cares about, and that he sacrificed so much for Velaris and his family. And (don’t judge) it certainly doesn’t hurt that he’s also super-hot. Basically, I just love Rhysand. He might seriously be my favourite book boyfriend of all time. Which is part of why this book broke my heart so completely.

   The plot was great!

   As you can probably tell, I care a lot about these characters, which was enough to keep me hooked from the first page, but even if it wasn’t, the plot certainly was. It was fast-paced, original and simply hooking. I’ve learned by now that when you pick up a SJM book, you need to be prepared to be hooked, because her books do that to me every time. Every. Single. Time.

   The world-building is simply to-die-for.

   In the previous books, we’ve seen the Spring Court, Summer Court, and Night Court (Velaris and Hewn City), and now, we get to see more of this amazing world Maas has created. The Autumn and Winter Court, not to mention the Dawn Court. And as usual, the descriptions make the world come alive around the reader. Especially her descriptions of the Dawn Court caught me. If I needed it (which I didn’t), here is proof that Maas is a master world-builder. When you’re left wishing you could visit a book world, you know it’s good.

   This brings me to the writing.

   By now, you probably know I absolutely love Maas’ writing, so I won’t bore you with the details, but as I previously said, her writing makes the world and the characters come alive around the reader, making it captivating and impossible to put down. Hours could go by before I noticed any time had passed at all.


   I could go on for hours about everything I loved about ACOWAR, but instead, I’ll leave it at this, and tell you that you have to read this book. I can’t remember the last time I fangirled, cried, swooned and laughed this much to a book. ACOWAR didn’t just reach my admittedly very high expectations, it beat them by a lot, so do yourself a favour and just pick up this book immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disclaimer

I receive some books from authors, publishers and third party sites (such as Netgalley). This does in no way affect my opinion, and all thoughts expressed on this blog are unbiased and my own. I do not get compensated in any way or form.