Wednesday 13 September 2017

Review: The Dragons of Nova (The Loom Saga #2) by Elise Kova

Title: The Dragons of Nova
Series: The Loom Saga #2
Author: Elise Kova
My rating: 5 hearts
Genre: Fantasy, Romance, with YA crossover appeal
Pub. date: July 11th
Publisher: Keymaster Press
SynopsisCvareh returns home to his sky world of Nova with the genius crafter Arianna as his temperamental guest. The mercurial inventor possesses all the Xin family needs to turn the tides of a centuries-old power struggle, but the secrets she harbors must be earned with trust -- hard to come by for Ari, especially when it comes to Dragons. On Nova, Ari finds herself closer to exacting vengeance against the traitor who killed everything -- and everyone – she once loved. But before Ari can complete her campaign of revenge, the Crimson Court exposes her shadowed past and reveals something even more dangerous sparking between her and Cvareh.

While Nova is embroiled in blood sport and political games, the rebels on Loom prepare for an all-out assault on their Dragon oppressors. Florence unexpectedly finds herself at the forefront of change, as her unique blend of skills -- and quick-shooting accuracy -- makes her a force to be reckoned with. For the future of her world, she vows vengeance against the Dragons.
Before the rebellion can rise, though, the Guilds must fall. (synopsis from Goodreads)

As usual when it comes to any book by Elise Kova, I keep getting impressed. I have no idea why I keep getting surprised, because, by now, I know how amazing her writing is, but despite all this, despite my expectations being sky-high, her books keep exceeding my expectations.

I love the characters!

I won’t talk about each of the characters individually, but I will talk about a few things that applies to all of them. They’re all interesting to read about, and add something to the plot. Sometimes, multiple perspectives can be confusing and hard to follow, but that never happens here. Instead, the different perspectives make the story so much better and they all give you some new insight into the world and the plot. And many of the characters go through major character development, both throughout this book, but also since the first book. I can’t wait to see what Kova has in store for them in the next book!

I absolutely adore the world!

Kova keeps impressing with her world-building skills. I already knew, after reading Air Awakens, that she knows exactly how to make a world interesting and unique, and it’s even better in The Dragons of Nova. She gives just enough information at the right time, never too much, so that the reader feels overwhelmed. Just enough to make the reader want (no, need) more.

The plot is amazing.

The plot keeps a great pace throughout the book. At the end of The Alchemists of Loom, when Arianna and Cvareh left for Nova, I was a bit worried how she’d be able to make it work with the characters apart, doing different things for the rebellion, but I should’ve known she wouldn’t disappoint. A lot of things are going on at the same time, but it never feels like too much or too overwhelming. It’s easy to follow and impossible to put down!

The writing is just right.

As you’ve probably noticed before, I love Kova’s writing. She just has this way with words, this way to capture the feeling and the vibe of a world, that makes it feel very real and tangible. The writing makes the world feel so realistic, despite being a Fantasy world, that it’s very easy to get lost and stuck in the world.


I have no complaints over this book. With eclectic characters that all add something to the story, a unique, interesting world, and writing that will make the world feel more real than the real world, Kova will take you on an unforgettable adventure and leave you reeling, trying to figure out how to go back to life after that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disclaimer

I receive some books from authors, publishers and third party sites (such as Netgalley). This does in no way affect my opinion, and all thoughts expressed on this blog are unbiased and my own. I do not get compensated in any way or form.